I love mashed potatoes. I’ve been a meat and potatoes girl since I was teenie. We used to go to my grandparents house every Sunday for steak, some form of potato, and green salad. I loved it. However, as a woman who is growing old and whose metabolism is slowing a bit (thanks a BUNCH mother nature) I needed to find a substitute for the creamy deliciousness of mashed potatoes. This is shocking news, but cauliflower puree (when made right), is JUST as satisfying as mashed potatoes with fewer calories and zero carbs ladies. Yes and yum. So anyplace you would serve mashed potatoes or even regular potatoes, just swap them out for this dish and voila – awesome food and much less guilt.
- One full head of cauliflower (or you can buy about 3 cups already chopped)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup buttermilk (I’ve used heavy whipping cream before, but buttermilk is a healthier alternative)
- 1/2 tsp salt + more per your taste
- 1-2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- Break up the head of cauliflower into smaller chunks, cutting the stems short
- Place cauliflower in steamer basket and steam until easily pierced with a fork, very very soft
- Remove steamed cauliflower from heat and place into food processor or blender
- Add 1/4 cup buttermilk, butter, garlic salt and pepper.
- Mix well – for about 20 seconds on high
- If puree is too thick, add a bit more buttermilk and blend until you reach the desired consistency.
- Taste the puree, and add any more salt, pepper, or other ingredients that you like.
- Serve hot!