First off I am so sorry for being MIA! I went on vacation, then came back to KC only to be slammed with work and then turn right around and head to my hometown of Tulsa, OK for a variety of family and friend activities. Things are FINALLY calm so I can get back to bloggin’. I am getting back in the swing with this amazing steak salad.
My dear friends Michael and Jeff surprised me with a late and unexpected wedding gift, especially since they were part of the wedding party – they had done enough! They gave me a Sansaire sous vide circulator. Michael works at the most amazing kitchen store – Sur le Table – and has access to the BEST kitchen gadgets! ‘Sous Vide’ is French for ‘under vacuum’. It’s a method of cooking food sealed in airtight plastic bags in a water bath for longer than normal cooking times, at an accurately regulated temperature which is much lower than what we normally use for cooking. The idea is to cook the item evenly and slowly, ensuring that the inside is properly cooked without overcooking the outside, and retaining all of the moisture. It is delicious! I’ve had it at restaurants, and now I can do it at home! This method doesn’t allow for the texture you get from a grill, so we have been tossing the meat on the grill for 1-2 minutes to get a sear on the outside with the perfection on the inside. You can learn ALL about it if you are interested – here is a great link.
My first night working with the sous vide machine I cooked a sirloin steak. We just got back in the USA and I needed BEEEEEEF. To sous vide or not to sous vide – that is your question. (HAAA – see what I did there). If you don’t want to do it – just grill the steak and call it a day. 🙂
- One large sirloin steak (or steak of your choice)
- 1 can of corn
- 2 chopped Roma tomatoes – seeds removed
- Light balsamic vinaigrette
- 3-4 cups lettuce – your choice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp fresh ground pepper
- 2 tsp sea salt
- Open can of corn. Pour 1 cup of corn and juice into microwave safe bowl. Microwave covered with paper towel for 3-4 minutes until hot. Leave in microwave for now.
- Mix garlic, salt, pepper, and olive oil in a small bowl. Spread over steak. Put into Ziploc bag.
- If grilling: let set for 30 minutes before grilling (room temperature). Don’t grill yet!
- If using sous vide method: Put into water bath up to the edge of the bag – letting the water push the air out of the bag for you. Zip bag, turn on sous vide machine to 135 degrees F (medium rare) or to 140 degrees F (medium). Allow to sit in the water bath for approximately 1 hour 15 minutes.
- While steak is cooking sous vide style — enjoy the time to do other things! Get the tomatoes ready, make your balsamic (if making at home) and chop your avocado (but not too early or it will brown).
- If you are grilling, get the tomatoes and avocaoes ready and now put that steak on the grill and cook to the temperature you desire.
- When steak is done by sous vide method, toss on HOT grill for about 45 seconds on each side to get nice grill marks. Once off grill bring inside and let sit for about 5 – 7 minutes.
- Toss lettuce in the balsamic dressing. Plate
- Slice steak against the grain
- Place tomatoes, avocado, and corn on top of the lettuce. Be sure to use a slotted spoon for the corn so you don’t get corn juice everywhere!
- Place steak on top.
- Sprinkle with balsamic vinaigrette.