I like to spend money, especially on beauty items, beauty treatments and clothing/shoes/accessories. Such odd behavior for a female right? I work to trim my part of the household budget by not eating breakfast or lunch out. This is also a great way to cut calories during the day and allows me to eat dinners that may be slightly higher in calories. Sometimes after a long day a girl just wants CREAM SAUCE for dinner!!!!
Since I bring lunch to work, I have to choose food items that do well with the kitchen tools I have at work: fridge, microwave, basic silverware and toaster oven. This caprese salad is a little unorthodox since I use cherry tomatoes vs. slicing vine ripened tomatoes. As I usually take a double or triple batch of salad for the whole week, the cherry tomatoes hold up a little better once they are halved and placed in the fridge.
If avocados are in season, I will chop one at the office and add it to the salad. This is freaking yummy and if you really want to replace calories w/ better calories, the avocado can replace the cheese but keeps the creaminess. I sometimes will take ciabatta bread or even a bagel thin to eat with the salad for a firm texture and to get a few carbs. I highly recommend this for lunch, for a quick snack or even for an appetizer that will impress friends with its freshness!
- 1 carton cherubs (about 1.5 cups of cherry tomatoes)
- 1/2 ball fresh mozzarella (sliced into rings, then sliced into strips, then cut into small cubes about 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch)
- 2 -3 tbsp chopped fresh basil (I use 3 but I looove basil)
- 1 tbsp EVOO
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste (I use a good pinch of salt and about 1 tsp pepper)
- Chopped avocado (optional)
- Slice all cherry tomatoes in half (check THIS out – its a great hack on cutting cherry tomatoes)
- Place tomatoes, cubed cheese, basil, evoo, balsamic, salt, & pepper into small bowl with tight-fitting lid.
- Roll bowl around slowly and gently to mix the ingredients without puncturing or damaging the tomatoes. Do this for about 1 minute – turning on its head, sides, etc. – just rolling gently to mix.
- Taste – then add in more salt, pepper, olive or balsamic. Everyone likes a bit more of one ingredient.
- Remove lid and stir in avocado if using
- Serve with bread if using