Pesto Sauce is one of my favorite sauces, why its not a ‘mother sauce‘ I don’t know. I think they should add a 6th one for sure. Basil makes everything taste better, parmesan cheese, pine nuts, olive oil and garlic – what’s not to love?! This sauce is great on pasta, on salads, on sandwiches, and I even will serve it over cream cheese with sun dried tomatoes and crackers as an appetizer. So easy! I also use this in my chicken florentine pizza recipe. I usually make a double batch, freeze it, and pull it out to thaw while I’m at work – when I get home voila – sauce ready for use.
- 1.5 cups fresh basil leaves, pulled from stems (pack tightly into the cup)
- 1 cup evoo
- 2 tbsp fresh minced garlic
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- Place all basil into food processor or blender. Pulse lightly a few times until roughly chopped.
- Add in garlic.
- Pulse a few more times.
- Turn machine on and pour in half of the olive oil.
- While machine is still running, add in pine nuts.
- Continue with remainder of olive oil and last add the cheese.
- After adding cheese only let the processor run for 5-10 more seconds.
- Stop machine – add s&p. Pulse a few more times – and pour into mason jar or container for use within a couple of days, or freeze immediately.