For the past 7 years, since we met, my dear friend JulieAnn and I have a standing agreement to get together once a week for dinner at either her house or mine. We usually make it at least 2 weeks a month and we do a good job making it a priority no matter how busy our lives get. I really enjoy the chance to decompress from a crazy work day, have a glass of wine, catch up with each other, watch extremely bad TV (holy Housewives!), and eat yummy food. Here’s the test of a super close gal pal: you spend the evening in workout clothes and don’t even attempt to tidy up your house when they come over. I hope after we both have our own kids and battle busier days, we’ll still be able to make this happen.
Since most of my recent recipe posts haven’t been exactly healthy, we are getting into lighter dishes – especially since many of us are on the verge of prepping for swimsuit season. UGH. Yes. I said it. I am sorry but if any of you are feeling ‘large and in charge’ after this winter, I am right there w/ ya! Look forward to lighter versions of recipes you love, more salads, and more veggies coming soon – especially once we can fire up the grill!
JulieAnn cooked up oven-roasted salmon, creamed spinach w/ mushrooms, and red potatoes. We found the base recipes that we tweaked just a bit at Cooking Light.com. GREAT resource for light recipes. I love salmon, and this was a very delicious recipe that was moist, tangy and flavorful. The creamed spinach didn’t taste light at all, it was REALLY yummy. I was surprised. Easy healthy recipes any woman on the go would love. (note potato recipe not included).
- 2 six oz. salmon filets
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- Cooking spray
Ingredients: Creamed Spinach/Mushrooms
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 8 ounces sliced cremini mushrooms
- 10-ounces fresh baby spinach
- 1/3 cup finely chopped shallots
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
- Heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Combine honey, mustard, vinegar, pepper & salt in small bowl.
- Brush over fish.
- Coat cooking pan with cooking spray. Place salmon on pan.
- Cook for 11-13 minutes until cooked through. Internal temperature at 145 degrees.
Directions Creamed Spinach/Mushrooms:
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil; turn pan to coat with oil.
- Add mushrooms; cook 7 or so minutes or until liquid evaporates.
- Remove mushrooms from pan.
- Add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to pan; turn to coat pan with oil.
- Add spinach; cook 1 minute or until spinach wilts. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat a small dutch oven or heavy bottomed pot over medium heat.
- Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil; turn to coat with oil.
- Add shallots and garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Combine milk and flour, stirring with a whisk.
- Add milk mixture, salt, pepper, and nutmeg to pan; bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Cook 4 or so minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly. Add cheese; stir until cheese melts and the mixture is smooth.
- Add mushrooms and spinach to milk mixture, and toss gently to coat.