Here is another post brought to you from the MKA kitchen cooking class held by Alex Staub. We did a class about a month ago where we learned to make two sauces and how to make gnocchi. These classes are the best I have been to. Many cooking classes are very structured with little ‘hands on’ time, but this is not that class. This environment is very fun – its like a party at your house where you all step in and cook together, very laid back, the recipes are delicious, hosted by a fabulous professional chef…and ALL that plus wine! They are even husband approved. 🙂
My close friend Rebecca and I decided the menu for this class based on dishes we previously tried at Alex’s former chef role at Bella Napoli (cucina Italiana). He has the best bolognese recipe, his arancini (fried risotto balls) are to DIE for, and of course the fresh made pasta is the vessel for so many of his other yummy sauces.
You’ll definitely wow everyone at your dinner table with these recipes. Enjoy!
Fresh Pasta – serves approx 4 people
- 3 oz semolina flour.
- 5 oz “00” flour.
- 10 egg yolks.
- 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- 3 tbsp water.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl until all ingredients are incorporated and a dough begins to form.
- Remove from bowl and knead dough on hard surface until smooth and no longer sticky.
- End dough results will be a very firm texture.
- Wrap in plastic wrap tightly. Let rest at room temperature for 30 min.
- Roll and shape. Click here to get the fully skinny on rolling and shaping pasta by hand. You can also use a pasta machine, if you have one then this link is better for you.
- Place in boiling water for 3-4 min depending on thickness. Cook until al dente – which means to ensure its not cooked all the way. The pasta will finish cooking when it is placed into a sauce pan and cooks a bit longer. If you plan to just top with sauce immediately, cook pasta until it is fully soft (not al dente).